Thanks for all your love and support

Monday, August 16, 2010

I'm Peace-ing out!

It's finally here! I landed in Virginia a few hours ago where I will officially start my Peace Corps training tomorrow.  I'll only be here until the 18th, then it's straight to Panama to start my Peace Corps adventure.

I don't know how often I will have internet access, but I will update this blog when I can as an online journal for myself, as well as to keep everyone informed on what I am doing (as soon as I figure out what that is).

Please feel free to share this with anyone and keep in touch through email (khowardanderson@gmail.com)
I would love to hear from you all!  Thanks for reading.

Paz, amor, y dios
Kayla

4 comments:

  1. I miss you already! Happy Birthday Salsa!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey I'm in DC! Are you near in VA?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So exciting!!! Thanks for sending the blog info. Can't wait to follow your adventures! Love to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kayla just called for the first time since getting to Panama, so I am writing everything down before I forget. There is only one pay phone in town and only works sometimes. She bought a calling card. (130 or 150 minutes?)
    She is living in Rio Congo for training, living with a family where she shares a room with a 9 yr old girl, 13 and 15 yr old boys, and sometime their cousin, so it is really tight quarters, but she says they are all really nice and she feels safe. She and 3 others live pretty far from the training center, so she has a long walk - feels a little too remote, but it is getting her used to what her eventual posting will be like. The little town is friendly and everyone walks in the evening and talks to everyone they meet. She runs and plays soccer with some PCVs and some locals. They are working VERY hard, long days every day studying Spanish but also about cold-water sanitation and stuff like that. No trips to the beach yet. She will go to Panama City tomorrow, so she should be on-line in the afternoon. She owns her own machete! Her running shoes are getting destroyed by mud, but now she has rubber boots and they may suffice, but may want some hiking books and/or new running shoes at some point. She only has running water at her house from the faucet every other day, and the showers are cold. It has been raining everyday, but the rain feels good because it is so hot. She is going for a 3-day overnight to stay with a PCV at their site to learn more what a real site is like later this week. She wont know what/where her site will be until week 7, she thinks. She really likes the other volunteers and is doing well!

    ReplyDelete